Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mr. Willy Wonka

I decided we needed to do something a little different this summer so I picked up Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory from the library just before Clay got back from NTC. It took us about 3 weeks, but we made it through as an entire family! I was very pleasantly surprised how much the kids loved it and how much detail they remember. I really loved the nights when they BEGGED me to read them some more.

So, after reading the book, I was happy to find the new version of the movie last week in Walmart's $5 movie section. YEAH!!! Last Saturday, after taking the kids out to run errands and get a special treat ($1.99 kids meals on Saturdays at Sonic!) we came home and watched the movie as a family. It was so much fun. I even got a Wonka Bar for us all to share while we watched.

Now we're reading the sequel, "The Great Glass Elevator" but it doesn't seem to hold attention quite as well. Jonathan keeps telling me that I need to get the movie to watch for this one too. Sorry son, no movie.

I also signed up for Netflix so we could watch the old version of the movie this weekend. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the new version. It's probably because I grew up with the old version. The new version has too much psychological stuff for a kids movie, in my opinion.

No comments: