Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween




Yesterday was a great day. I got some great last minute inspiration in the shower and made the kids jack-o-lantern pancakes for breakfast. I used food coloring to make them orange and used chocolate chips to make faces. The kids thought that was pretty cool. We don't usually use chocolate chips in pancakes so it was an extra special treat. I was getting our older two and the neighbor girl out the door for school as Max came over for the day. So for a few brief moments, I had 7 kids (11 and younger) I was responsible for. Max stayed with us all day until 4 p.m. Amanda didn't have preschool so I had 4 kids 4 and under. It really made me think a lot about my Aunt Coleen who did that every day--what a wonder woman!

I actually was able to do 3 or 4 (I can't remember now) loads of laundry done during the day--2 of which were sheets. I also was able to get my bed remade with clean sheets and laundry folded with all the kids. Christina & Daniel came home from school and we were able to get the other 3 beds made (the girls day for sheets) and Christina over to a birthday party. Clay came home early from work--he got here shortly after Max left and I ran to pick up Christina and a few things for dinner. We got back and worked on our pumpkins before dinner. Last year I was able to get these light bright things to poke in pumpkins to make cute designs. I thought it would be a little easier than carving with kids and they did seem to enjoy them.

We had a lasagna dinner (thank goodness for premade freezer meals) and were getting the kids dressed when Jake & Jill came over to help us with trick or treating. The kids had a lot of fun.

I told them I wasn't going to sew any costumes this year so we had fun putting stuff together from what we had. Christina was a '50s girl, Daniel was Merlin, Jonathan was King Arthur, Amanda was Glinda (from 2 years ago--I guess I made it too big), and Samantha was a peas in a pod.
I was surprised that Jonathan really seemed to enjoy the day. He kept coming up and saying "It's Halloween today!" Amanda wanted to stay in her dress all day.

Jonathan had so much fun this year. He actually remembered I think and was very excited. While we were trick or treating, he kept saying "I'm King Arthur!" It was so cute! He's crown would occasionally fall down over his eyes but he kept walking and would say "I can't see!" What incredible faith to know that as long as he had my hand, he would be okay to follow me even if he couldn't see!

The plan was we would all go trick or treating and then I would come back with the younger ones. Jonathan didn't want to quit after Samantha fell asleep so I took her back home with Jake & Jill. It was so nice to have them come join us for trick or treating! Thanks!!

Christina ended up having a sleep over too last night. It went really well but I think we're all still dragging some today.

We were also able to finish cleaning up all the leaves out of our front & side yards today. That feels good to have it done.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hee! Look at those big eyes!

The kids are darling. I love the happy smiles all around. It is bittersweet that they are growing so fast, BUT seeing the excitement over Halloween is definately sweet.

Momma Twitch said...

Cute kids!!!

Belkycita said...

Those costumes look great! I can't do that as a last minute.

Chris 'n Leah said...

It sounds like you had a FULL day! Days like that are so nice but also exhausting. It feels good to accomplish things but is son nice when the day is done.

Your kids look great in their costumes! So much fun!