The kids had their dress rehearsal last night. The musical starts tonight and runs through Friday night. I will be recording it and put some songs on here hopefully. I know they are very excited.
Yesterday we had SEP (Student-Educator-Parent) Conferences at school for Christina & Daniel. Daniel's was first. His teacher said he was doing great in 2nd grade. He loves having schedules and having things go the "right" way, which makes it hard when they don't. His teacher says he really thinks "outside the box" and wants him tested for the gift and/or magnet school programs. He is reading at almost a 4th grade level, he just needs to work on his fluency. He can actually keep reading while his mind is processing other stuff and slows down during this process, then picks it up again at regular speed. I kind of wish I could do this. :)
Christina's teacher said she is also doing really well. She's scoring well above her grade level. She will also be tested for the gifted program for Junior High and may need to go to another High School that would better suite her needs. He has her reading at a 9th grade level right now put wants to push her to 10-12th grade level. I was kind of surprised at this. Last year for Christmas we gave her a Shakespeare for kids book that I figured was pretty close if not slightly over her level last year. So I asked her last night if she had read it. She told me she had and we ended up having a little discussion about Hamlet--she figured the "To be, or not to be" quote was from there, and Romeo and Juliet. I was amazed how much she recalled and understood. So, I would love any suggestions of uplifting, clean, non adult but challenging books for her. I figure we need to get a book with the actual Shakespeare plays and practice reading them but I would love any other suggestions--Grandpa Beck are you reading this?
1 comment:
Well, obviously Harry Potter would be a fun, clean read.
The Chronicles of Narnia
Little Women
Jane Eyre
Any Austen books
I also loved The Westing Game. So very much.
Anne of Green Gables or the Emily of New Moon series.
Those are a few of my favorites that I read around 6th/7th grade and still love. (Minus Harry Potter, of course.) They are clean and engaging. The "real" Shakespeare classics DO have some rather, um, adult humor at times. You might want to preview each play before passing it on.
Post a Comment