Thursday, January 29, 2009

Army update

Well we were ready to sign our lives away on Monday, and still haven't. It was suggested to us that we check out the National Guard. So we did--no advantages at all! So, we're back with the army.

We've spent a few hours the last few days trying to go in and get things finalized but due to the big ice storm on the east coast, everything keeps getting shut down. UGH! So, after spending time there today, Clay's going back tomorrow morning to get more info. Now we're trying to get him a job in the medical field to start, like an operation specialist, and then he'll go into the PA program in about 2 years hopefully. So we're still trying to get dates and details but the good news is that hopefully he won't have to go to boot camp in Fort Benning, GA (the toughest one--that's where they train the rangers, infantry, & special ops) and hopefully to Fort Jackson, SC (known as Relaxing Jackson). It's not that I don't think Clay could handle it, I just would feel better about it. I know that he's already going to be teased about his age, education, & family size.

He's been working at the PT part and is doing really well. He's already at 50% of where he could be--one Sargent told him that's where he should be at the end of boot camp. I know he'll do well.

More details to come....

2 comments:

David and Alisha said...

UGH! How annoying! I had to laugh about the note on being teased about age. When my bro-in-law went into the military at the age of 28, all the guys called him grandpa...too funny. Who would of thought you would have to feel old sooo young! He also got teased a lot about his religion (mostly the whole garment thing). What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger I guess. I don't think Clay will have a problem at all. He doesn't seem like he gets offended to easily. Once again, GOOD LUCK!

Cheryl said...

We'll keep you all in our prayers!