I'm slowly getting caught up. But life keeps happening so forgive me for things being out of order sometimes.
So Monday, I dropped Samantha off for preschool and headed to Walmart with only Ethan. As we drove, I listened to a radio station that I don't usually listen to.
The conversation was about the upcoming election. It was pretty interesting at first so I listened as various callers would call in and talk about various parts of the election. Then a caller called in to talk about "the mormon issue" as no one had brought it up yet. He proceeded to talk about who the Christians were supposed to vote for since Obama appears to have Muslim ties and Romney is a Mormon. The conversation led to talking about how Billy Graham had the comment removed about Mormonism being a cult.
As the conversation continued, I knew I needed to make a phone call. I don't do stuff like that though and was pretty nervous but knew I needed to do it. The Lord prompted me to listen to that station that day and now was prompting me to stand up for what I believed in.
They gave the phone number just as I was pulling into the parking lot at Walmart so after parking, I called the number.
They asked my name and why I was calling. I gave them my first name and told them "I'm a Mormon." They said just a minute.
I honestly didn't listen very well to the caller they were talking to. My heart was racing and I didn't know what to say.
Then it was my turn. They introduced me and I said (as best as I can remember), "I'm a Mormon or the full name of our church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and we ARE Christians. We speak of Christ and rejoice in Christ and we very much believe in the power of the Atonement of Christ. If anyone out there wants to know more about our religion, they can go to LDS.org or mormon.org."
They then asked who I was going to vote for and then quickly got off the phone with me. I didn't keep listening to the program. I don't know who else was. But I felt so relieved to be able to stand up for something I care so much and believe so much about. Hopefully someone out there will go to the church's websites and read more about what we believe in.
It was Ethan's turn for Family Home Evening that night so we waited to share what had happened with the family until then. It was a good experience to be able to show the kids that we need to let others know that we are Christians and we can't be afraid or ashamed of our religion.
I'm just grateful I had the opportunity to share this with others. I know it is what He wanted me to do. I had the perfect opportunity. Only one very quiet kid in the car at the time (a rare thing around here) and a perfect opportunity to share my testimony with anyone listening
1 comment:
Good for you Markell. That is awesome!
Post a Comment