Monday, June 21, 2010

Horses, the beach, and sunburns

So I'm way behind again. The Saturday after Clay got back, we decided to make time for our family for a bit. That morning we all went with Daniel for his last day of scout camp. They met over at the stables on post and we all took a tour and saw what they did there. It was a lot of fun but was overcast so their silly mom forgot to put sunscreen on everyone. Whoops. Daniel got a lot of awards, mostly belt loops. The week long scout day camp was really good for him.
After that, we headed out to a man made lake here that's free for military called BLORA. We had packed stuff for a little cookout (hot dogs) which was quite the event trying to cook in the occasional drips and lots of wind and mom forgot anything to turn the hot dogs or get them off the grill. (I'm kind of forgetful at times lately, can you tell?) But it turned out well.

After that, we changed into our swimsuits and headed up to the waterslides for the bigger kids and I got to watch the younger three play on a kids wash (designed like a car wash for kids). They wouldn't let a pregnant woman go down the slides. :( I kind of had a feeling that was the rules anyway. The kids had so much fun playing in the kids wash. Samantha was very nervous at first but by the time we left, she was having a ball.

Then we headed down to the beach. I really was hoping it would be better than it was. The beach itself wasn't bad but walking out into the water wasn't on sand, it turned into rocks. I finally convinced Samantha to just sit on the edge and play with the sand with Amanda. The other three had fun going out further with dad.

Although I had put sunscreen on most of us when we got to the beach, some got pretty fried. Daniel's sunburn (from earlier that day, you can tell from the shirt line) ended up getting some good blisters. I was a mean mom and only let the play outside once last week just before dinner so they would all have a chance to heal. It's way too hot for this momma to want to go out much anyway.

No comments: