Monday, August 30, 2010

RETREAT!!!!!

August 3, Ethan was two weeks old and we had company again.  Clay told me that Chubaka's owners forgot to work out details with the kennel while they were taking leave.  They asked if we could watch him for 18 days.  One benefit of living on post is the rules sometimes.  According to our contract, we have five days to get a dog registered so I told him we couldn't watch him for more than five days.

So we got him for five days.

With a two week old, and five other children, and Clay working most of the days we had him.

Just to recap, this is Chubaka.
Not my idea of a house dog.  Ugh.  Needless to say, I was counting down the days until he could go to the kennel.  It was REALLY HOT during this time so every time he headed outside, he would stink.  And shed.  Maybe we're not ready for a dog yet.

That Thursday, Clay asked if we wanted to go to a marriage retreat the next week.  OH YES!!!  I've heard a little about these but was more just looking forward to having time as a family and doing something fun for the summer so my kids didn't go back to school with a report of their trip to see mom and new brother in the hospital as their family vacation. 

Sunday, Clay and a couple of the kids made the 30 minute drive to drop off Chubaka at the kennel (did I mention we live in the middle of nowhere?) and I started the dog clean up and packing for our trip.

Monday morning we all got up early and headed to post for a safety briefing before our trip up to Grapevine, TX.  I was worried about being late up there as we had a newborn who needed to eat along the way (as well as five others) but we made it before those in charge of the event did.  :)  We had an orientation meeting and found out that this was a family retreat.  Clay, Christina, Ethan, and I got to attend classes about how to make our family stronger while the others were across the hall in the provided child care.  We had one short meeting that day and then they let us go to have family time.

The retreat was held at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX (a little over 3 hours away).  After dinner, Clay, Christina, Daniel, Amanda, and Jonathan headed off to explore the indoor waterpark while Samantha, Ethan, and I hung out in the hotel room.

Tuesday we had several more sessions before being released for more family time.  This time, all of us went down to see what the fun was about.

Here's the girls taking Samantha in for the first time--

The all had a ball.  I haven't had time to touch up the photos so you'll have to excuse the quality here.  

Daniel on a water toy--
Jonathan was really hesitant to go down the kiddie water slides.  I had to coax him down when I went into the kiddie part for a bit.
But most of the time, I sat on the side with this little one watching the others.
Samantha had a ball.  This picture is a little blurry but I love how much she trusts her dad.
Jonathan loved the wave pool and playing in the waves.
I still can't believe how huge this place was.  This is the lazy river.
Clay, Jonathan, Samantha, and Amanda in the wave pool.
I kept trying to find Christina and Daniel but they were some where in one of the many slides like this.  They thought these were more fun than the kiddie section.  I guess they're growing up.  I can't remember the number of indoor slides the place had.  It was HUGE!
That night, Ethan, Samantha, and I hung out in the room again so dad and the "big kids" could go on more slides.  

Ethan at three weeks--
Samantha had fun snuggling in bed with mom for a change.
Wednesday we had a few more classes in the morning before heading home.  It was such a nice get a way.  The best part is that the army provided it all (meals included) once we got there.  Christina made the comment that those three days almost made the army and moving worth it to her.

I'm just grateful to have a break and good, quality family time.




3 comments:

Leah said...

You are so brave to leave the house with a 2 week old, let alone go on a little trip! You are my hero. I can hardly crawl out of bed for a month after giving birth.

wylie said...

Wonderful! I am so glad you all got to go, hooray!

Tammy said...

That sounds wonderful. The fact that it was all on someone else's dime is even better. I love family time. I am so glad you got a mini vacation out of your summer.