Friday, August 28, 2009

Weekend with Clay

First, I have to thank my friends who helped out with the kids Friday morning and Sunday night, for taking me to the airport, and picking me up. THANKS SO MUCH!!! Thanks also to my mom and brother and his wife who helped with the kids that weekend.

I flew out early Friday (August 21st) morning to go see Clay. It was so strange to be by myself but going through security was so much simpler! I arrived in San Antonio about 1:30 pm and went to find the hotel that Clay's sister and husband had gotten us for the night. THANK YOU! It was wonderful!

I headed down to Fort Sam Houston, and waited outside his barracks for him to be released. They sometimes are released as early as 16:30 so I arrived just before then. I actually went to the PX first because I had some extra time but made it over to his barracks by 4:30. I sat in the car for a bit, walked around the parking lot, etc. I'm not sure what took them so long, but they finally marched from the classrooms down the hill, up to the barracks about 5:30 pm. I was able to wave to him at least as they marched by. Then they held them in formation for what seemed like forever.

Finally, his Sgt. pulled him out of formation and signed the papers for him to leave. He ran up and got his stuff and we left about 6:30. I had an appointment for us at the temple at 6 pm that I had called to cancel and change to Saturday. I'm glad it worked out--there's no way we would have made it. We headed up to the hotel, let him get cleaned up (after being in his battle gear all day he was very sweaty--it weighs about 45 pounds, I think, and covers him front and back. They also have their helmets on so they get VERY sweaty after being in them all day.)

We then went to a place called Boston's Pizza for dinner. It was so nice to not have any flying objects or food to cut, and some adult conversation during dinner. I have to admit, I didn't sleep well that night. Just like being newly married again and remembering how to sleep with someone else in the bed. Luckily, that only lasted the first night.

The next morning we got up, ate breakfast and went to soak in the hot tub. It didn't take long for both of us to be rubbing our eyes so we didn't last too long. We then got cleaned up, checked out of the hotel, and headed to the temple.

The temple was beautiful! I've never been in such a small temple. There is no chapel and they had folding chairs put in between the aisles to add extra seats. You have to make reservations and I can see why. They only had 2 tickets left for Saturday when I had to call to change so I knew we needed to be in that session. It was so wonderful to be together in the celestial room again. Heaven!

We then went and met a friend from Iowa for lunch/dinner who we haven't seen in about 5 years! It was good to catch up with him and see how things are going for their family. We ate at a Thai restaurant that was delicious!

We then headed up to the Carr's home (the missionaries serving in Clay's branch). They had invited us to stay there for Saturday night. We watched a movie with them and then went to bed. The next morning we got up and headed to church. The branch moved to another building so we were trying to find a better way of getting on post that would be closer since we were running a little late. We got stuck in traffic for a bit because of an accident and then got lost, or rather took a very long scenic way to church. They have closed so many of the gates and we didn't have a good map so we barely caught the end of sacrament meeting. Relief Society was good though.

We ate dinner with the Carr's and then I had to leave to go to the airport. Brother Carr was nice enough to drive Clay back down to post so we could have some extra time together. It was so hard to say goodbye again. I really didn't want to leave and he just wanted to come with me. I ended up putting the directions to return the car in the trunk, so I took another scenic way to the airport. Last time I had flown out so early that I returned it to another location but I found it and made it on my flight just fine.

In Phoenix, I was talking with Clay when I saw Elder Christofferson, his wife, and another man board the plane. I knew I was on a safe flight then. :)

Sorry, I took no pictures during the weekend but it was so wonderful! It was so nice to be able to spend time just focusing on each other and talking about what we were going to do with the rest of our lives.

No comments: