I figured that some may be interested in how Clay is doing. Here are some parts from the letter I got today.
"I still need about 5 more sit ups to pass the standard. It'll be alright. The range has been tough on me. I know I can shoot, but it's been hard zeroing and grouping on the weapon. I got my eye protection with corrective inserts and tried to use them. They fogged up so bad I couldn't see anything. I shot horrible and finally took them off so I could shoot better. Today (4/29) was qualification day. I was really concerned about it. I shot 3 rounds you had to get 23/40 to meet the standards. My first round was 18/40. I also convinced the DS to let me wear the birth control glasses (***BCGs--army issued hot looking glasses) instead. Those glasses work so much better. The second round was 19/40. They then gave me one more chance to meet the standard. The third round I got 32/40 and I would have gotten two more shots if my gun hadn't jammed up at the beginning. That puts me with a sharp shooter award. I was overjoyed and grateful that the Lord blessed me to get it right.
I'm in the top bunk of a bunk bed set. I do some form of guard duty every 2-3 days.
I had it last night and then we foot marched about 3-4 miles to the range. We carry all our battle rattle.
The DS today started talking about graduation today and asked that no mailbe stopped 2 weeks prior to graduation. I can send things out but they don't want to have arriving after I'm gone. It's really good to hear them talking about graduation.
I interact with 1st Platoon of A. Co. I don't have any interactions with other platoons. I know some people from F. Co. because I was there. There's White, he's about 6 months older than me. We get along real well. I've made friends with some of the younger ones. One guy is 37-8ish. There is only 1 other LDS member in the Co. I've given away 2 Book of Mormons now."
2 comments:
That was really nice to hear how things are going for Clay. Sounds like he will make it through this experience just fine. I am happy for you!
thanks for sharing! I am so proud of both of you for making this decision and following through. that's such a great commitment and sacrifice for you, your family and our country! :) i don't think i'm strong enough to be in either of your shoes!
Post a Comment