Sunday, May 3, 2009

Onward, ever onward

I have to admit things have been interesting since Clay left. Somethings have been better and somethings are not going how I would like. Our latest adventure is mold (one person questioned and said it was mildew but what difference does it make?) A week ago yesterday I got a phone call saying that we were getting some new to us (used) bunk beds to replace the 40 year old ones in the girls room. I was very happy. No problem, take down the old bunk beds, do a little cleaning while we're at it, put the new ones up and we're good to go, right? WRONG!

I got the new bunk beds down and out of the room with some help from Christina and Daniel. Next I figured I'd tackle Christina's dresser since its the only one I haven't hit since Clay left. Pulled out the bottom drawer and it was falling apart. We bought these dressers new from IKEA a year ago when we were trying to squeeze 3 girls in a room. I couldn't believe it! I asked her how long it has been like this and she said it's been a while.

Okay, well let's keep cleaning it out and see if I can fix the drawer. Christina's dresser was in the corner and I pretty much had to unload most of it to get the dresser to move so I could get all the drawers out. Well I found a lovely patch of mold (we'll just call it that since I really don't care what it is). A really good patch of mold, about 16 inches up the wall, covering both corners behind the dresser. Thus the reason the drawer wasn't working. The mold/moisture had warped the bottom of the drawer causing the frame to come apart. Great.

For those of you who don't know me, if I had the time I would have a spotless house, clean baseboards, etc. I like to know that all the drawers/closets are clean--really clean. However, I have 5 children who are only little once so I choose to sometimes let things go so I can spend time with them. Mold. YUCK! How could this happen?!?!?!?!?!? Right now? I have to admit I was already having one of those days and could have used a break but here we go.

I called to ask for help. Again, so NOT me! I wish I could do this on my own but again I have 5 children and am on my own for now. To make a long story short. No one knows for certain what caused the mold. We have a great friend who was willing to cut into it and there were no signs of mold on the other side of the wall. Puzzling. No one can figure it out and I've had lots of opinions and ideas but nothing for sure. I'm just glad I caught it when I did.
So, Christina and Amanda slept on the couches until a couple of nights ago and Samantha is in a portable crib in my room. At least she's doing well sleeping in it which will be nice when we're out in Georgia/South Carolina.

We are very blessed to live in a ward that has been helping us. Another great man in our ward has been over to patch the hole with greenboard and tape and texture. He's almost done and then the fun of repainting the girls room (going neutral now to help sell the house), cleaning the carpets, and putting everything back together. At least it will be a good chance to go through and really clean things out. I was able to go to IKEA and they gave me (for FREE) the new back and bottom section of the drawer so I was able to salvage the dresser after all. Those of you who feel like your lives are boring, be grateful. :) For now, we'll keep plugging along. Onward, ever onward.

4 comments:

Momma Twitch said...

Crazy! Good thing there wasn't mold on the other side of the wall...I bet you were being looked out for. And how cool is that, that IKEA gave you free parts!

Chris 'n Leah said...

The first thing I thought was, that explains why the kids have been sick for so long. That stuff is toxic and can really make you sick. It is a blessing that you found it and were able to get it taken care of. Hopefully now the little ones will stay healthy for awhile. :)

Melissa said...

Wow! I hope that this helps the kids get over their illnesses.
Shortly after we were married, I was cleaning our bedroom closet. I found mold/mildew all over the left hand side--right where we kept all of our Temple clothing! All of mine had to be replaced--some of Heath's. I was very upset. We never found out where that came from either.
Good luck!

Belkycita said...

Oh dear!! How crazy!!!
Mold/mildew... all the same YUCKY stuff!
I'm glad you found it when you did.
I'll try to keep my life as exciting as yours :-)