Samantha and I caught a plane the morning of July 2nd. We flew to Phoenix on a pretty empty flight so Samantha got her own seat and slept really well. Our next flight to San Antonio was completely full. It was a little plane, 2 seats on each side. Luckily we were in row 3 so it made it easier with her. She finally was able to fall asleep towards the end of the flight.
We arrived and caught a shuttle to go over and get our rental car and then head over to Fort Sam Houston. It's always so fun to get a car and go off of maps as I have never really spent any time in Texas other than in airports.
I found it and was just driving on post when Clay called, not very happy. His platoon got in trouble for having messy barracks that morning and they were all told that they were going back to phase 4, meaning no passes. When he called, they were trying to clean, he was scrubbing the bathroom tiles, trying to earn it back. I guess they found cups of spit in one locker that the platoon leader dumped on the floors. Some guys got everything in their lockers thrown out because they were so messy. They didn't touch Clay's since it looked great.
He didn't know if I would be able to see him at all during the weekend. Not a pleasant idea for either one of us. I drove over to the commissary where Samantha and I went in to get a sandwich for dinner. We sat in the car and ate our picnic (it was 100+ degrees with humidity, not picnic weather in my book) while we waited to hear what would happen. He finally called and told me I could pick him up at 6 am the next day. I then drove around for a bit so I could find his barracks. It was very close to the gate where I first had come in.
I then drove up to Schertz, TX (about a 30 minute drive) to find the home of the couple missionaries who are serving in his branch, Elder and Sister Carr. I feel so blessed to have met them. I sat down and visited with them for a while. Samantha warmed right up to them. They gave me a key to their house and told me I could come and go as I needed to. I was very impressed with their willingness to help a stranger. What great examples of Christ like love! They have been serving about 6 months of an 18 month mission from their home. I guess the church is looking for more military service missionaries like this because only retired military are allowed on the post/bases. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to serve a mission like this someday.
The next morning, Friday, we got up early and drove down to pick up Clay. Samantha just smilied at daddy from the back seat. We drove back up to the Carrs home and Clay watch Samantha so I could get ready for the day. We then headed out for downtown San Antonio. We went to the Alamo that day. Interesting to see.
Saturday, I was able to pick him up again at 6 am. We were able to do some more shopping that day and then went to a 4th of July picnic on post for the ward/branch for Fort Sam Houston. We were able to meet some other soldiers who were their for the 6 week medical officers training. It was nice to hear their side of things. Hopefully we'll be there soon. Clay's trying to find out what we can do to get him into medical school now through the army. Then he can become an officer and hopefully make life easier for all of us. Medical doctors only get deployed for 6 months at a time. YEAH!!!!
That night we just took it easy and enjoyed relaxing in a home. We hoped to see some fireworks when I had to drive Clay back that night but due to the fire danger, we didn't catch any. That's okay. I would rather spend time together.
Sunday, Samantha and I got up early and headed to Fort Sam Houston to meet Clay for church. His records got transfered here since he'll be here for a while. It was one of the most interesting meetings I have attended in a very long time. Samantha was the only child. We met in the library where they had gathered all the chairs in the middle for sacrament meeting. It was amazing and so special to watch these soldiers, some in uniform, prepare and pass the sacrament. It was fast and testimony meeting which was amazing to hear these soldiers bear testimony of how the gospel is benefiting their lives. One soldier got up and shared his experience of being wounded in Iraq and his amazing recovery and the hand of the Lord in so many people who were there at the right time to help him. Amazing.
Relief Society was held in a corner of the library. There were 8 of us. It was amazing to feel such a special bond with these sisters in such a short time. This life is going to be very different for us but it was so wonderful to reflect on the wonderful blessings we have received and to hear about how the hand of the Lord has been there in other people's lives as well. It was wonderful. They are only allowed 2 hours for church so they teach missionary discussions/gospel teaching/priesthood at the same time as Relief Society.
Clay's platoon had so many drunk people the last few nights that we had to stick around the post so he could run up for a 1400 (2 pm) formation just so they could make sure people could still stand up by themselves. After that, we headed up to the Carr's home again. He had to be back a little earlier as well. They were having a few guys who were having to be held up in formation.
Monday, we got up and ready. His platoon had some cleaning to do that morning so Samantha and I got up and dressed and then drove down to pick up Clay about 8 am. We went back downtown and went to the Riverwalk.
I got up at 4 am (3 am MDT) to get ready to drop off the car and catch my plane. The flights were completely full. Luckily we were able still to sleep kind of on the first flight. We flew through Denver this time. Samantha fell asleep during the landing on the last flight and stayed asleep as I put her in the stroller and got out to where my mom, Christina, and Daniel picked us up. The kids all seemed to have grown a few inches while I was gone. It was nice to see how excited they were to see me again. I was a little worried they were having too much fun with their aunts, uncles, and cousins they wouldn't want me to come home. They had so much to tell me about that I'm still hearing about all the fun they had.
I am so grateful for those who helped watch the older 4 kids so we could have this time together. It's funny but in the 13 years we've been married, this is the closest thing to a honeymoon we've had. So we had a child with us, couldn't sleep in the same bed at night, and had to say goodbye after, but it was wonderful to be able to relax and spend so much quality time together. It was a much needed break for both of us. The timing couldn't have been better as I had just lost our little souvenir from Fort Jackson. It was good to be able to have Clay there to help me through all those fun emotions. I am so grateful to be married to such a wonderful man. It was so nice to be able to just focus on each other and taking care of one child. It was a piece of heaven on earth for us. Hopefully we can see each other again soon.
3 comments:
I loved reading about your trip, what a wonderful break for both of you. I will send you a message on facebook.
I am so glad you made it and had such a great time!
you deserve it, and the best part it refills your mommy soul :-)
Thanks for sharing about your trip. It touched my heart, not sure why but I got teary eyed. I guess, because I think it's wonderful to be able to feel your love for your husband even all the way over here in Iowa. You have such a strong beautiful spirit. I think you guys are wonderful.
Post a Comment