I can't believe it's been 8 years since the the world stopped for a moment. It's an event that still is impacting our lives, this year more than ever. I can't believe how the songs on the radio are making me cry so easily today. Today is Clay's first day of war training on his field training exercise. How appropriate. I'm curious how it's going and can't wait until we can talk so I can hear about what he is doing.
I'll never forget turning on the TV that morning to the news and watching the events as they were unfolding. I remember being in shock and just not believing what was happening.
The next few days were a blur. I remember driving with my two children, Daniel just being a few months old, to Nevada to pick up my grandparents. They had been visiting with my aunt and uncle in California and needed to get home as their medications were running out. I dropped everything and drove with a cousin to meet them up somewhere in Nevada and then to turn around and drive home.
This day was the beginning of Clay's wanting to join the army to help defend our country. Shortly after this, he participated in the ROTC at BYU and considered a military career for the next semester and a half. As graduation approached, it wasn't the right time for our family to join the army. I some times wish that we would have just bit the bullet and joined when we only had two children but we still had lessons to learn first.
So here we are, eight years later, and my husband is gone in preparation to defend our country. I know it's not if he gets deployed, it's a matter of when but I need to just stay focused on today and not get worried about the future. Had 9/11 not occurred, I don't think we would have ever thought of the path we're on. Funny how things can impact you so much years later.
I am so proud of my husband and his willingness to sacrifice so much to serve our country and our Heavenly Father. What a great example for our sons and daughters of love to stand up for what is right and to put other people's needs before one's own.
May we never forget what happened that day and try to show an increase of love in this world that is so full of hatred.
1 comment:
I was actually remembering when we went to pick up Gma and Gpa today. I remember.
Post a Comment