Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dr. visits

It's been another interesting week.  Last Sunday was my birthday.  I really don't feel old enough to have this many kids but here I am.  We had a nice quiet day at home. 

Thursday I had arranged for regular doctor visits for Amanda and Samantha.  They're both doing great on their growth charts.  It's funny to see both of them pretty close to the 50% mark for both height and weight.  Samantha's head is still on the top of the charts, but that's normal for her.  I have to say I'm really not impressed with this side of the army healthcare system.  I like the idea of allowing everyone access to healthcare but if this is what socialized healthcare would be like, count me out!  I need to make some phone calls tomorrow and see if we can switch the doctor for the kids.  This is the second time we've seen her and I hope the last.

I had gone in there to get Samantha's physical done for ECI help for speech therapy.  The doctor was ridiculous and said she couldn't refer her unless I took her to an ears, nose, throat specialist.  Too bad, I already referred Samantha for speech and don't need her permission.  She's already referred us once to discuss tubes for Samantha's ears but she has really had very few ear infections so neither one of us as her parents has felt this was necessary but now we have to take her.  UGH!!!!  I really don't think there is a problem with her hearing.  I have been concerned she may have another ear infection and had Clay try to look this week but there is a large amount of wax I could see from the outside so he said there was no way to see her ear drum.  I was so frustrated when the doctor was able to say she looked fine because the wax is still there and I know she can't see it!

I also went in there to finally get brave enough to discuss Amanda's possible allergies and ADD.  The doctor very briefly mentioned a paper on her wall about all the pollen counts/allergy seasons for the area and then didn't touch it again!   And I have to go to the hospital to self refer for the ADD.  No help.  Why did everyone tell me I needed to go to her doctor first?  Okay, enough venting about the visit.  

Clay also was told a couple hours again before another mandatory meeting Thursday night.  He asked 2 days ago about when this was and his sergeant didn't know.  I was also supposed to be to Relief Society that night with Christina so he luckily got permission to leave early and we were only 30 minutes late to Relief Society.

I've had a cough for over 2 weeks now and Thursday it was getting so bad that it was causing cramping and a few contractions.  I didn't feel like I had time to address it that day so I tried to take it pretty easy Friday during the day to see if they would stop on their own.  I finally called the nurse line and after waiting over an hour for them to call me back, was told I needed to get to the ER within 4 hours.  So I called Clay and he was able to come home, we waited a few minutes for Christina to get off the bus to watch the other kids and then headed in.  At first they couldn't find the heartbeat of the baby which made me nervous but I could feel the baby moving away from them so I figured everything was fine.

They finally got us back and did a quick ultrasound and baby appears fine.  They've given me some steroids (never take these close to bedtime, I couldn't sleep hardly at all that night), an inhaler, and antibiotics.  I still am cough and having a hard time going to sleep and sleeping.  Clay had to wake me up so we could make it to church today after I was able to finally sleep for a few hours.   I have my next appoint in just over a week but I may have to call them back if it doesn't get better.  I really don't want to have this start other problems.  They're guessing it's just allergies but didn't give me any allergy medication.  I really don't like taking medication at all anyway.

Yesterday, after cleaning our house and the ward building, we decided to do something a little different.  After dinner, I took Christina and Amanda to the theater on post to see the Princess and the Frog while Clay stayed home to play games with Daniel, Jonathan, and Samantha.  I think everyone enjoyed the change of pace and extra special time with us that we haven't done before.  The girls are ready to do it again except they want to stay home and play the Wii next time and send the boys out to do something.  I think we just started a new family tradition.

No comments: