We got a late start Friday morning (it was nice to sleep in for a change) so we got things ready after breakfast and headed to San Antonio. We wanted to stop by and visit Elder and Sister Carr who were so nice to us when Clay was there for AIT and let them meet the kids. I called them as we got closer to their house and realized that they were busy volunteering all day at BAMC (the army hospital) and the temple but invited us to stay at their house that night. We weren't prepared for this but we decided that we could make it work which I'm grateful we did.
We stopped and had a late lunch and then went over to the temple so I could go to the 3:30 session while Clay watched the kids. It was raining a lot which makes it hard to want to take the kids to the park. Clay wanted to show the kids where he lived this summer and Fort Sam Houston so he drove them down there while I was in the temple.
I had called ahead and was able to reserve a ticket for me but the session Clay wanted to go to they said was already overly full. I stopped by the office when I got inside and as I was putting his name on the standby list, someone called and canceled so he got a ticket for the session as well. I was so grateful.
After I was done, we drove down to a grocery store so Clay could change and take some kids to the bathroom then we headed back up so he could go to the 6:30 session. The San Antonio temple is very small and so beautiful. I really wish we lived closer to the temple.
While Clay was in the temple, the kids and I went to Walmart so they all could get some walking in after being in the car so long. I picked up some toothbrushes and toothpaste and some stuff to have a picnic in the van for dinner.
We headed up to the temple and had our picnic while we waited for Clay. While we were waiting, I would turn the car on and off so we could stay warm. After a bit, the car started beeping and displayed a message about a charging system failure. Great. I turn the car off, then got nervous it would turn back on so I cranked it again and let it run for a bit until the message came back on. I turned it back off and we said a prayer.
I tried to crank it one more time but I thought I could smell something burning so I shut it right off. It was a little bit later when Clay came out (his session was really full). I had him look at the engine while I cranked it. It looked fine and the message didn't come on so we headed over to the Carr's home.
I'm so grateful they were able to let us all stay the night. Both of our cell phones were on the last bar of power and with the car issues, I didn't feel good about trying to drive home on a dark, rainy night.
Luckily I keep a bag of a set of clothes for all of the kids in the car. I needed to update this so some of the kids had to wear the same pair of pants again but I was so grateful I had this. It's come in handy so many times. I luckily had a shirt in there too from when I was nursing Samantha so I could put something on to sleep in. We had to get a little creative.
Saturday morning, Clay looked at the car again and couldn't find anything. We visited with the Carrs for a bit and then headed home. The message still hasn't come back on since Friday night. I have a feeling it's probably the alternator on it's lasts leg but we'll stay home for a while until it completely decides to die. At least we still have a warranty on the van so once it goes, we will be able to get it fixed but we have to wait for it to go or we get to pay a $50 diagnostic fee. Oh the fun adventures I know we have coming.
I'm so grateful we made it to the temple and that through prayer, we were able to make it home safely. It was so nice to see the Carrs again and I'm so grateful for their hospitality once again.
1 comment:
Those are some fast blessings from attending the Temple!
Post a Comment