Monday, January 11, 2010

Smart Samantha and Silly Jonathan

I've been kind of concerned about Samantha's speech for quite a while but with everything else going on, it kind of got pushed aside (along with a lot of things).  I made contact with an Early Childhood team out here who came to give her an evaluation last Friday to see if she would qualify.

I know that she's has always been very smart.  I get amazed at some of the things she figures out at such a young age but she's just a little slower with her speaking skills.  She uses about 4-5 words on a regular basis and then signs another 5 or so.

So they were out at our house last Friday for 2 hours.  She missed her nap because of this and was still so patient and good through it.  They asked me several questions about her routine, what she can do, etc. and observed her.  She was evaluated in every area.  I wasn't really surprised with the results.  In all of the areas (except speech) she was tested above her age level, some things she does are typical 3 and 4 year old level.  She amazed the group as she picked up one of Jonathan's toys, placed it on the magna doodle and tried to trace around it, a typical 4 year old characteristic.  Samantha is almost 22 months.  Her speech, 15 months.

So she obviously qualified.  We start tomorrow having them come out to the house once a week for 45 minutes to help her learn to communicate, with both sign and words.  I'm glad I have a little knowledge of ASL and have been able to teach her some (which has helped a ton) but I'm excited to get to know more as well.  I'm glad they're able to come out to the house as well so I don't have to run to one more appointment.

Jonathan still has no real interest in potty training.  I've never really pushed it with my kids so they are usually a little later than other kids but it's done much faster once they decide to do it.  I really don't want 3 in diapers/pull ups.  I've been trying to encourage him more lately and he was doing great at first.  He's now learned that the pull ups hold it as well as diapers did so he uses them as such.  I know he can go and take himself, but he has no desire to.

Saturday I decided to bite the bullet and try putting him in underwear and see if that would work.  He did great in the morning.  I don't know if he actually used the bathroom or not, but he stayed dry.  Clay and I headed out for a date and left Christina in charge.  She called and said he wet his pants.  I told her to make him clean it up and let him choose if he wanted to wear underwear or pull up.  He chose underwear.  Later I asked him why his socks were wet (he had waterproof pants on) and he told me they weren't.  Sure enough, he'd had an accident and it didn't even phase him.

We're back in pull ups.  I really hope he decides he can do this soon.  I've got a bad head cold now and really need some energy to help encourage him.  This week's FHE activity--helping each child set a goal and have them come up with a plan of what they are going to do and what we can do to help them as parents.  Maybe we'll come up with something then that will work for him and give him the motivation to do it.  New underwear didn't even do the trick.  Hum.....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Don't get too frustrated with Jonathan. I agree that it all goes a lot faster when the kids decide they are ready. HE just isn't ready yet. Good luck!