Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some things don't keep forever.

I'm finally starting to feel a little more "caught up" if there is such a thing so I decided it was time to do something for fun to benefit our family.

Just after we moved to Utah this last time (over 4 years ago), my dad's mother decided it was time to start cleaning out her house.  Not a bad idea if you've ever been in it.  Grandma had so much storage it was/and probably still is very difficult to do more than walk through the walk way she had left in rooms.  I still am amazed at how much she remembered in detail about what she had and where she had it.  

I am one of a very small number who sew in the family so she let us come out and go through some of her boxes and various containers of fabric.  I definitely got more than my year's supply of fabric and was able to share with many neighbors and friends as I went through it over and over again.  I still have a large amount we moved with us, especially since I'm about an hour away from a good fabric store.

I decided it might be fun to make a bean bag chair since our family keeps growing and we will need more places for sitting in the future not to mention having something fun for the kids to lay in.  I have some fun memories of the bean bags we had as kids (I'm just not going to make vinyl ones  :) ).  I remembered seeing some corduroy fabric in the stash so I pulled it out yesterday to see how much there was of it.  Between two pieces, I figured I'd have enough to make a large bean bag.  So I washed it up today.  The big piece I had fell apart into shreds.  Fabric doesn't keep for 60+ years.  I know some of grandma's fabric is much older than other pieces and I've had some of them fall apart a little before but nothing like this.

So now do I go through and wash everything now or just wait until I'm about to use it to see if it's any good?  Definitely need to go through and use more of this to see if it's still good.  Wonder if I still have any pieces that might work for a bean bag chair or maybe come up with another idea.

1 comment:

Belkycita said...

Wow, I've never heard of fabric that did that!!