Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Being a geriatric patient

Yep, that's me.  That's one of the things I was called at my first OB visit with this little one.  I have to admit that being pregnant at my age is much different than it was in my 20s.  Yesterday I was reflecting on the fact I was working 3 jobs when I was pregnant with our first.  I know I couldn't do that now.  I know I'm so much more tired this time around--naps are a must everyday, even if it's laying down and not really sleeping, if you want a happy mommy.  I'm also having slight leg problems already that I haven't had before.  A fun sign of getting older or maybe just a few pregnancies.  

Sometimes I still can't believe we're having #6!  I still remember all those fun emotions when we were trying to get pregnant with #2 and going through infertility treatments.  I guess we got that problem fixed.

We had to go to genetic counseling this time.  That was fun.  Having all kinds of numbers and questions thrown at you.  The lady who did it was really quite nice and respected our decision to not have any of the tests done.  It wouldn't change our decision so why go through it.  I know that my grandmother had her last at 42.  There were no problems.  I only know of one relative (one of my mother's cousins) who had a child at an older age who has Down Syndrome.  Yet still, my mind sometimes worries about such things.

Tomorrow we go in to a level 2 ultrasound.  It's supposed to be a little more in depth to make sure the baby is okay.  I'm a little nervous but actually kind of looking forward to getting more answers.  Hopefully we'll be able to get a better idea of when this baby is supposed to be here too.  So what are the guesses, boy or girl?

3 comments:

Alisha said...

You have to follow the pattern you've already set so I'm going to say, BOY!

Belkycita said...

I'm guessing girl, don't ask me why, that is just a hunch.

Leah said...

I always guess girl...wonder why.

Good luck, and I am a firm believer that the children that come into our homes are the ones that are suppose to come. And even if there are disabities they have come to us for a reason. Each member of a family is unique, special, and brings just what we need to learn and grow together. It's an amazing journey and sometimes it's the harder parts of the journey that teach us the most.