Thursday, February 11, 2010

He did it!

After all other attempts at potty training failed, I decided to try one last thing.

About a week and a half ago I sat down with Jonathan and had a talk.  After talking for a while, he said he was ready to be a big boy and didn't want to wear diapers anymore.  YEAH.  Now just remembering that.

He had several accidents that day.  After the third, I didn't have any more clean underwear so told him he would have to go without.  A few minutes later, he brought me a diaper and I reminded him of the talk we had that he wasn't going to wear diapers anymore.  He was pretty frustrated and upset with me when he realized that he had to go without anything.  No more accidents that day.  

We went and got more underwear the next day (he wanted the plain white ones like his big brother) and he had no accidents that day.  He's very proud of his new underwear and LOVES to show them to everyone.  We're working on modesty now.

He has had a few accidents since then but we're sticking with it and he's doing great.  Ironically at first, I felt like he did better when we were out of the house running errands.  Maybe it was because he knew there wasn't a change in the next room.  Now he's doing great either way.

I'm so proud of him and so relieved to finally have one less in diapers.  Only 2 to go.

The other day we had the following conversation at lunch:

J:  Do mice like cheese?
M:  Yes
J:  Do we have a mouse?
M:  NO
J:  (looking at the baseboards in the dining room)  We don't have any holes for the mice.
M:  Nope
J:  We'll have to go get a mouse.
M:  Why:
J:  So I can feed it some cheese.

I just love the way kids think.  And no, we're not getting a mouse.

I'm so happy to have my curious kid back.

1 comment: