Sunday, October 10, 2010

Called to Texas

Yesterday Clay and I (with Ethan of course) headed to Temple to attend a church teacher meeting.  It was very powerful.  I am so glad that we took the time to go.  They taught us about how to teach more effectively and although they were focusing on teaching in church, both of us were impressed with changes we need to make at home to help prepare our kids to serve missions.

About 5 years ago the church revamped the missionary program and introduced the Preach My Gospel book.  Very powerful book and I know I need to spend more time in it.  As they told about the changes of how the missionaries are to teach now, they also have been trying to teach the teachers to teach the youth also using the same pattern so that it would be easier for the youth when they are called to serve missions.  The principles that we learned there are ones that we need to focus on more in our family so our children will be ready to share his gospel easier.

I always planned on serving a full-time mission.  As my 21st birthday approached, I prayed earnestly about it and felt prompted that I need to work on my education at that time so I figured I would graduate from college and then go on a mission.  I was kind of frustrated that MY plan wasn't his plan at the time.  I always wanted to go on a mission but the Lord had something better for me than I had planned for myself.

I met Clay just before my 22nd birthday and have since been serving Him in other ways.  I still look forward to the day when I can serve a full-time mission with my husband.  During the past several years our local leaders where we have lived have encouraged us to do more member missionary work.  I kind of sort of tried.  I have little kids and they're my life right now.  It's hard to feel like you can really share the gospel when you don't get out much but there have been opportunities to answer questions and talk to others about the gospel here and there.

After the accident, I have felt prompted to share different parts of the story with different people.   Maybe others will learn from my mistake.  Maybe we can share what we have learned to help prevent something worse from happening to us or someone else.  It's been a very humbly process and much self reflection.  We have been having someone come out to help us with Samantha's speech.  When she came after the accident we had a very interesting discussion (not a lot of speech therapy but mommy therapy that day).

Although, she's not a member of our church, she is very religious and we've shared little things with each other in the past.  That day we had the most amazing discussion.  While we didn't get into details of religion, we spent the time discussing how grateful and ways in which we've seen His influence in our lives.  I love what she shared with me and for me being able to bear testimony of His influence in my life.  We had the best discussion not talking about our church but of the GOSPEL.  The things that really matter and how he is in control of our lives.

She really touched me when she asked if I felt like He was preparing me for something big.  I have felt this way for a while.  We've had a lot happen that's been pretty overpowering in time that last little while.  I don't know why we're having to go through what we are but I do know that He is in control of our lives.  I can look back and see why some things may be happening but I know that I can't see the big picture like He can.  I'm grateful for faith and testimony to continue to move forward when everything seems to be fighting against us.

As I thought about our discussion that day, I keep thinking about my approach to missionary work.  Maybe I need to not focus on sharing about the details of our church but maybe share more about His power in my life.  That will lead to discussing our church at some point because that's part of who I am.  Maybe I need to spend more time being more bold to declare THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.  I have an amazing visiting teacher who is so bold to encourage and challenge some of the sisters we visit teach.  I need to get bolder.  She's moving soon unfortunately and I need to continue the amazing work she's been doing.

I taught the lesson in Relief Society today on repentance.  Preparing such a lesson leads one to do much self reflecting and repenting.  Time for me to focus differently on missionary work.  There is a reason why we were sent to the middle of Texas, no place we would have ever considered on our own.  So while we're here, I need to be a better instrument in His hands.  I know we have many who are watching us and many figure we're either Catholic or Mormon because we have so many kids.  Time to be brave.

No comments: