Friday, October 1, 2010

Blessings of the Temple

So I've already blogged about the fun we had on September 13th with Jonathan's MRI. But that wasn't our only hard thing that week.

I don't really want to go into a lot of detail. It's pretty hard for me to even think about this still but I'll humble myself enough to share to hopefully help someone else.

Thursday, September 16th I took a friend and her 2 kids, in addition to Ethan and Samantha to the commissary (grocery store on post). When we got to her house, I parked in front of her house and helped carry her groceries in her house. After setting the groceries down in the kitchen, we walked to the front door where I saw the suburban began to roll backwards with Samantha in the front seat.

I had turned the engine off but not put the parking brake on and left the keys in the engine as I was needed to get home to put my own groceries away. Samantha had gotten out of the car seat that Jonathan usually rides in. I haven't ever let her ride in his seat and didn't know she could get out. I can't even begin to describe how horrific it was to watch Samantha's face. I tried to get in but couldn't as the doors were all locked once it is taken out of park. I grabbed on to the door handle, screaming the whole way. My friend also tried to grab the grill on the front and stop it. Luckily, it stopped when it hit a tree.

I was able to get calmed down enough to eventually get Samantha to unlock the back door to get them out. Neither one of them had a scratch or bruise. I am so grateful for His help in all of this.

I have spent so much time going over what happened in my mind and all the things that could have happened. Through priesthood blessings and prayers, the images aren't coming as frequently. I know that every parent has left children in their car for just a moment to run in to get something really quick. Please think twice. It only took a minute.

I am so grateful that I still have my kids. I know that they are both here for a reason and I am so honored to be their mother.

Hopefully someday I can forgive myself for this accident. I know that it was truly an accident and that only through His help did we have the best possible outcome. I am grateful for the tree that was able to stop them.

September 24th, a friend watched Samantha and picked up my others from school so that Clay and I could make the 3 hour drive to Dallas to attend the temple. We decided to go that way instead of San Antonio, which is slightly closer so that we could get in easier (sessions every hour and starting earlier in the day). Clay sat with Ethan while I went in.

As I was able to partake of the beauty of the temple that day, I was reminded that the blessings and safety we receive are also extended to our family as we live our temple covenants. I am so grateful for the temple and my knowledge that HE LIVES and loves each one of us so personally. I know he forgives us and loves us even when we make mistakes.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh Markell! I am so sorry this happened. I will think twice about leaving the kids in the car. Jacob can easily get out of his seat now. I am grateful the temple was able to bring some peace to you. You are a wonderful mother!

Belkycita said...

oh wow!

Thanks for the reminder. I am glad everyone is ok.
Don't let this accident make you forget how wonderful of a mother you are.