Sunday, February 20, 2011

Another Sunday

Today was one of those great Sundays when a child spent most of Sacrament meeting under the pews and I didn't really care. Overall the kids were okay and we made it through another week. I even had someone compliment me on my patience with my children. I'm going to take it as a compliment instead of focusing on the behavior they were exhibiting to test that patience today.

The Sacrament meeting talks were about forgiveness and keeping it simple during times of stress. I really tried to listen today, I'm sure the Bishop chose those topics just for me. I kept trying to figure out what I was supposed to cut out during this time instead of the overwhelming feelings of doing more than I was doing before he left. I need to look up the conference talk he was referring too. I do remember it. It's the one about the tree rings and how the tree grows at regular rate except during times of trial when it conserves its energy and focuses just on survival. A little hard for me just to survive when I get to be both mother, father, and everything in between and then some. And just when I feel like I'm starting to figure out what's the basics, I have even more, that only I can do, added to my plate.

I really wish I could feel like every year was one of those "crisis" years. I want to slow down and simplify and find peace. Real peace. I want to focus on the other things I want to change when I'm not in the middle of chaos. But part of me feels like that will never be the case and I have to figure out how to change in the middle of all the chaos which gets me back to feeling overwhelmed and anxious all over again.

But, alas, it's bedtime. Good thing the kids don't have school tomorrow. I think I'm going to "run away" by myself for a little bit tomorrow.

Now, how to bribe Christina.................

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I am glad sacrament meeting was good today. You seem to be managing so well.

If you are interested, here is a link to that conference talk by Elder Ucthdorf: http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/of-things-that-matter-most?lang=eng&query=conference+tree+rings