Saturday, June 4, 2011

Benefits

I have to admit that one of the best advantages of the military is the health insurance benefit.

So we try to use it as much as possible.



Which really isn't hard with 6 kids.



Tuesday night the kids wanted pizza for dinner.  I told them that even though Little Caesars was cheap on Tuesdays, I thought we could be faster making our own at home.  Or so I thought.

In the process of having so many helpers in the kitchen, mom trying to run around and get the dough made and toppings pulled out, the metal round pizza pan got knocked off the stove and onto Amanda's foot.  Thankfully it was empty and it was the only thing that fell.  But it hit the wrong spot.

I took one look at her foot and knew her toenail is going to fall off.  I wrapped it in plastic wrap and a bandaid, tried to get her to put ice on it and then called the nurse hotline while I finished the pizza.  We were told to get her to the ER within 4 hours of the accident.  
So, we got people feed, left Christina with the others to get to bed, and we headed to the ER to spend part of our night there (with Ethan, of course).  It took us 2 hours to get to triage, then once there we were taken back within 30 minutes.  The doctor wanted x-rays so we went and got those done too.  Broken toe.  That pan hit it just right.  

So my only child who has had a broken bone before, now has another one.  We saw the doctor yesterday so Amanda know has a snazzy shoe to wear that she decorated with stickers.  2 weeks in shoe then more x-rays and we'll see if we're done with it.  It may make the summer trip have a little twist.  Luckily since it's her toe, once the nail falls off, we can probably go swimming still.

I think next time, I'll might go with the kid's idea and get Little Caesars.

No comments: