Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grandma

Life is extremely crazy right now and I have so many different emotions flowing through me that even though I should be getting kids up for school in a bit, packing, and a 100 other things, I need to take a few minutes to write about my Grandma.

My grandmother was finally able to be reunited with her other half on Saturday morning. She's been in ICU for 3 weeks and in and out of the hospital since March (just before Clay left). She's quite the fighter and has come through so many times when others didn't think she'd make it. Friday she kept telling my mother (who has been caring for her since March) that she wanted to go home. She had a cardiac arrest about 2 weeks prior and has had a hard time speaking with the oxygen masks and feeding tubes coming in and out. But she wanted to go home.

They finally were able to get things arranged and she was home Friday evening. She was "home" for about 11 hours before she really got to go Home. My mother was there. She had heard Grandma coughing and went in to see if she could suction her out. Grandma refused. My mother went to get her brother who had arrived the night before to see if he could help. They both tried, and Grandma fought. She was done. She wanted to go Home.

I can only imagine what that reunion must have been like. Grandpa died in December, about 3 months before Clay left. We weren't separated as long as they were for this separation. I know from being reunited with my husband how wonderful it is after such a long separation (and we even got to see each other a few times during our separation). I know that their reunion was so much more. Based off of even more years of love and experiences. There's is a love that I hope that Clay and I can continue to grow closer towards.

Grandma had only known Grandpa for a few weeks when they got married. Her love for him was amazing. She served him, not because she was subservient, but out of an unselfish, eternal love. They were one in their marriage. Only once did I ever hear Grandma discuss a small issue that she had with Grandpa (his clutter on the counter). She let everything go. They were one in purpose, one in heart. I know that having my wonderful husband here for the past week and a half, I finally feel complete again. I know that Grandma is now feeling the same way.

Grandma has been my example in so many ways. Most recently, an army wife. While Grandpa was already in the army when they got married, our life's are sometimes a little too similar. I am so grateful that I had her to talk to about being an army wife. It's a special bond that we now share, along with an aunt. 3 generations of army wives who live a life that only we can understand. I now understand a little bit more how Grandma felt when she was left with 6 little ones at home when Grandpa was gone for 17 months in Korea. If Grandma could do it, so could I.

Clay and I went to see Grandma the Sunday before she passed in the hospital. The first thing she said to Clay was "Welcome Home." She knew. She kept telling me to be strong when Clay was gone. That meant so much coming from her. I am so grateful for the moments we had with Grandma that day. For being able to hold her hand one more time and to tell her I love her. I'll miss you Grandma.

I am so grateful that she is finally free from the pains that she has felt the past few years and tried to hide from us all. I know that she is SO full of joy to be with Grandpa again. I'll miss her but I know that she wanted to be with him again.

Bye-bye for now.

4 comments:

wylie said...

Thank you so much for letting us read that, it was absolutely beautiful and inspiring. Thank you to your Grandma for an amazing life she led.

Melissa said...

These rememberances are beautiful--and you are among a select group of women as an Army wife. Grandma was and continues to be an inspiration to all of us. I can't even imagine the reunion she and Grandpa had! I'm so happy they are together again!

Chris 'n Leah said...

What a blessing to have such a Grandmother. I got goose bumps when I was reading about her "going home".

Lori Lou said...

I love your Grandma! She was such a beautiful woman and an amazing example.