We left Friday, January 7th to drive to Tennessee. Can I just say my kids should deserve a medal for being in the car for 2 major trips back to back?
We headed North and decided we needed to stop and get a GPS unit so we would know what speed we were going since we haven't had time to get the speedometer fixed yet. I'm grateful for the deal we found without looking. Tender mercies.
We drove across Arkansas (a first for all of us) to Memphis the first night. I have family in Arkansas that it would be nice to see but we were really tight with time--maybe when we move we can say hi. The next day we drove to Nashville where we met up with his mother and then on to Harrogate, Tennessee. It was pretty dark by the time we got there.
Sunday we woke up and got everyone ready for church, drove to the church building (very small for a ward) only to find church was cancelled. It had snowed some but compared to what we had seen in Colorado, it wasn't much of anything so we took the time to drive around a bit in the daylight. The area is full of winding roads through the hills. I can't wait to try out the hiking trails there! I'm sure it's beautiful in the summer when it's covered in green.
And then it started snowing. And snowing. LMU-DCOM actually closed school the day of the interview. They had a gentleman who comes to the hotel to pick up people to take them to the interview. We weren't planning on going with him but when we saw our suburban covered in ice and snow with nothing to clean it off (I'm sure we have something somewhere in the shed) we decided to take him up on it. Clay's mom stayed with the oldest 5 kids and Clay, Ethan, and I headed off to see the school and go for his interview.
Of the 10 people scheduled that day, only 4 showed up. Dedication or craziness? Half of the interviewers showed up. I was very impressed with the school. It is new and very high tech. I was also so impressed with the people that work there. They were all so professional, friendly, and helpful and I don't think that I'm biased based on our army experiences as of late.
Bob, the driver, took us back to the hotel where we loaded up and began our drive back to Texas. Luckily the snow had lightened some and the sun had helped to clear the roads there. His mom went her way back home once we reached Knoxville and she had really bad roads. We made it to Memphis that night and then through Arkansas the next day. Arkansas had a bad storm there and had closed part of the freeway the day before. We're grateful our prayers were answered and the weather we encountered was as minimal as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment