Monday, the 17th was my birthday. It was nice to be able to talk to almost all of my siblings. We stayed home most of the day, watched movies, and played games. I was most grateful that Clay was still here.
Then the 18th came. Time to say see you later again.
Luckily, the kids had the day off (and the day before) so we were able to spend even more time together as a family. We finished packing his bags and finishing what we could of the detailed stuff that needs to be done while he is gone. We headed to main post just after 3 pm to drop him off. And I cried.
His commanders were very vague about the details of what was to happen that night. He had to go "draw" his weapon from the weapons room. Then it sank in for most of the kids and all the questions began. They've never seen Daddy carry around a gun like that before. They had fun running around the grass and playing tag.
I left with Ethan for a bit to run over and get some food for the kids. We stayed outside for quite a while until he was to go in to a building for a meeting. Then we found out that they had pizza in there for the soldiers and families.
I couldn't help to remember what that day was like and all the similarities between the two days. Both were the 18th day of the month, Samantha's first birthday had been just two days before, this time the day after mine. I have a little one still nursing
and needing me a lot, and me needing it too. The hardest part is not knowing for sure when we will be allowed to talk again.
I got home, got the kids to bed (school tomorrow) and then he texted me to let me know they had boarded the plane. So I got Christina out of bed (neither one of us could sleep) and we watched the plane leave from our bedroom since we are close to the airport. Hopefully we'll be able to watch a plane landing, bringing him home in a few months. I really don't understand how some people get used to this.
No comments:
Post a Comment