Sunday, November 8, 2009

Catching Up, again

Well, I know I have a lot to catch up on but just have to take it one step. Someday maybe I'll catch up. For now, I'm going to skip over Halloween, but I'll come back to it.

First some pictures Clay took on his camera during our trip out here. Getting the official Texas look down. Here's Daniel--And Jonathan in his coon cap--
And Samantha in her cowboy hat.--

Things have been really crazy here since the shooting last Thursday. Clay had been assigned detail duty for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this week. Wednesday he spent in the DFAC (cafeteria) and when he showed up for PT on Thursday morning, they assigned him back to DFAC detail again. I guess it's not usual to get this two days in a row. After his Sargent sent Clay to the DFAC, he apparently told the rest of the platoon that they needed to show up later for formation with some gear. When Clay showed up later, his Sargent asked if he had everything that he needed for later. Clay pointed out that the Sargent announced this after he had released Clay so he was told to hurry home to get it for the final formation that was supposed to take place at 2:45 pm as they are supposed to get off by 3 pm every Thursday.

Clay was on his way home and had a hard time getting off with roads closed on post, but didn't know why. Clay had forgotten his phone at home and the previous day we had switched phones because his was out of power so his Sargent had my cell number. The Sargent called me just before 2 asking if I knew where Clay was. I hadn't heard anything from Clay all day. Moments later, Clay pulled in the driveway to get his stuff. I told Clay that his Sargent called and he needed to call him back ASAP. While Clay was calling his Sargent, the neighbor behind us came over to ask if Christina was home from middle school yet. She came back in a few minutes to say that she had spoken with her husband who had told her about what was happening on post. Clay's Sargent told him to stay home.

It was supposed to be an early release day from the schools that day so Daniel and Amanda were already home with me. We spent the next several hours listening to the siren go off, telling us to seek shelter immediately, turn off all heating and AC, and close our windows and doors. Clay was called back and told to be ready to come back to a formation at any time.

Christina's school day had ended and they were headed out to get on the buses to go home when she was told to run back inside the school. They had all the kids hid under the windows and desks in the corners so they couldn't be seen from outside. They did give her a box of Trix for dinner, followed by a carton of milk 20 minutes later.

About 6:30, Clay was called back to a formation so he left quickly but wasn't able to get through any of the gates to get back on post. About 7 pm, I got an email and voicemail from the school saying that we could pick up Christina. I already had some of the younger kids in bed so I was debating what to do. I had started getting the kids up and putting shoes on when Clay called and said that his Sargent had released him since he couldn't get back on post. I was so grateful that I could get the kids back to bed and not have to drag them all out to get Christina.

It took Clay 3 hours to come home with Christina, even with the school just a few miles away. The cars were back up horribly and they were doing many inspections as people went through the gates. At the school, he had to park and go show his ID there as well before she was released to him. I am so grateful he was able to go get her. Sitting in the car in that kind of traffic with all the kids for 3 hours would have been interesting, not to mention dragging them all up to the school to check her out. They left the school about 9 pm, arriving home about 10 pm due to the extremely high traffic. She was hungry when she got home so we didn't get to bed until after 11 pm.

Clay got the next day off but the kids all had to get up for school still. They had a couple of moments of silence to remember what had happened at school. Clay got a call that morning that he needs to have his bags packed for 3 days, ready to leave with 4 hours notice. I guess this will be a standing requirement now at least. Should make going to the temple interesting. Hopefully this will be lifted soon.

He also has to show up tomorrow in his full battle gear. He was told last week that he was supposed to get next Thursday and Friday off but we're not sure what his schedule will be like now. A little anxious about it. The kids will have Wednesday off of school for Veteran's Day so we're looking forward to having a breather day again.

Christina took the babysitter's course yesterday so she can babysit again. It was required to take before we could leave her home with any of the other kids. I'm looking forward to getting out with just Clay again soon (probably Saturday for Stake Conference). Time to get the last of the kids to bed. Mornings come really early around here now so we are trying to move up bedtime to see if that will help. More updates to come.

2 comments:

Momma Twitch said...

Wow! I'm SO glad everyone's ok. You guys were in our prayers.

Belkycita said...

What a crazy thing!
I am glad you are all well.