Monday, November 9, 2009

Life changes--church stuff

I think maybe I should try to catch up in little bits, so forgive me if this seems to be rambling all over the place.

Samantha is doing much better. After several days of not feeling well, I took her into our doctor on post on Wednesday. She had a double ear infection and a flu bug (not swine flu). It's taken her a bit to get feeling better and I think she's almost there. It was interesting to see how the military health care system works as this was our first real experience with it but it was really nice to get the motrin, tylenol, and prescription and not have to pay a penny. I'm just glad she's feeling better. It was hard when I want to finish unpacking the last of these boxes and she wanted to be held. Hard to unpack one handed but I did get some things unpacked.

Things aren't the same on post since last Thursday. It still catches me off guard to see all the armed uniformed soldiers at school and more Humvees driving around on patrol. The kids don't seemed to be phased by it so I'm not pointing it out. Friday we went to run errands on the main post where the increased security is everywhere. We drove past where the shootings took place and there were armed soldiers about every 10 feet by the road. I'm not sure if the whole building was surrounded still.

Yesterday in church they announced that 2 of the members of our ward here work for the casualties' office. They weren't at church yesterday because they were helping the family members.

I guess I should use this chance to catch up on what our ward is like. The first week we were here, we attended a ward in the Stake Center that we figured we would go to with the housing options that we were told we would have. During that next week, we were assigned to a different housing area than we were told we would get so that meant a new ward. I have to admit that neither one of us minded going to another ward. We will go where ever we were assigned but it just didn't feel right. The ward we attended that first week had 2 nurseries (both bursting with kids), primary was huge too (at least compared to what we were used to). Our kids were the quietest ones in Sacrament meeting. There were kids running up and down the aisles during the entire meeting. We weren't asked to introduce ourselves, in fact it was like we were just another number. After church, Daniel was crying and asked if we could just go back to Utah. It made me want to cry too.

So the second week, we attended the right ward, now that we knew where we would be living for sure. We're part of the Copperas Cove 1st Ward. It's a much smaller ward and much more like what we had in West Valley. It feels right to be attending this ward. The kids are fitting in much better as well. They got a new bishop the week before we came who seems very nice and friendly. His wife was the Relief Society President, so we got a new Relief Society President a week ago yesterday. Our records still aren't here but our previous Bishop called on Thursday to see how we were with the shootings so hopefully they'll be here soon.

In the program this past week, I noticed they had a list of those deployed from the ward. There are 14 soldiers deployed from our ward! 13 brothers and 1 sister. It's interesting to listen to the prayers. The wars is so real for so many of us here. What an impact on a ward, and I know our ward isn't the only one.

This next weekend we have Stake Conference so it will be interesting to see what that is like here.

No comments: