Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ethan's surgery

So Friday, April 22nd I got to wake up at 4 am to nurse Ethan one last time before his surgery.  Luckily he went back to sleep and kept sleeping while I got everyone else up and ready for the day.  Fed everyone and grabbed Ethan (in his pjs), loaded him in the car.  My mom sent the ones off to school out the front door while Ethan, Christina, and I headed out the back door.  I think the time they gave us for the surgery was actually pretty good considering everything.  It was much easier to do the regular routine somewhat before the surgery.

We drove to the hospital (about 40 minutes) and they took us right back to our room where we started getting him ready.

All smiles before--Mom, Ethan, and Daddy (courtesy his daddy doll)
Showing off his cool hospital gown.
 The nurses and anesthesiologist came in to talk with us and then it was time to wait for his turn in the operating room.  Luckily, I was able to use his binkie and got him to sleep. Then the nurse came and told me it was time.  I carried Ethan and walked to the doors of the operating suites where I had to turn my baby over to the operating nurse.  And turn and walk back to his room.  That was hard.  I was so grateful I had gotten him to sleep first and I didn't have to leave him crying.

On the drive up, we had been listening to "Never a Greater Hero" CD I recently bought for myself.  I knew I would be faced with a time like this and was gently reminded that my Heavenly Father KNEW what I was going through.  He also had to leave His Son in the arms of others and turn the other way.  I was grateful for that sweet reminder and for the knowledge I had that I knew my son was going to be okay and I would have him back in my arms soon.

So Christina and I sat in the room and waited.  An hour never took so long.  I was able to work a great deal on my talk which helped me remind myself of the eternal nature of families.

And then the nurse came and told us he was coming back.

And they wheeled him in a crib, still asleep.
His oxygen levels were on the very low side but he came around pretty quickly and then started to wake up.  I was able to pick him up and hold him once again.

The nurse told me that when they took him back, he started to wake up when they put the laughing gas on.  She thought he was going to cry but he was starting to laugh.  When he started coming around, he was so cute.  He could tell that things weren't right and would do little chuckles at things.  I've never seen him do that before.  I was grateful that he could still see humor in things even when he wasn't feeling his best.  I hope he continue to have this trait as he grows up.

They tried to get an IV in both hands and weren't successful.  He has bruises on both hands from them.  They were able to get it into his right ankle but he wasn't so sure about that when he woke up.
 Saying hi to Christina.

And time to go home. YEAH!!!!!

They put some medication in his back (like an epidural) so he wasn't able to use his legs as much that evening but more than I thought he would.

He's doing really well recovering.  Full "recovery" will take 3-4 months for it to look completely normal.  I'm so glad it's over and he can recover now.  We go back to the doctor next month for a follow up to see how it's healing.  I can tell it itches a lot because he wants to scratch/grab it anytime he gets a chance.

3 comments:

Belkycita said...

what a special little boy you have there. His smile is SO contagious!!!

I am so glad everything went well.

Sending you a big hug.

David and Alisha said...

What a sweetheart! So glad everything went well. Thanks for posting pictures.

Leah said...

I am so happy to hear that everything went well. I have been thinking of you but have lacked the free hands needed to comment on your blog.

Now I may have missed it in a past post because my mind is so fuzzy but what was Ethan's surgery for?

I know what it's like to have one so young to have surgery both Charity and Julia had surgery when they were one. It is a difficult thing to hand over your baby and trust that all will be well.

You are holding up amazingly well. Hang in there...sending happy thoughts and smiles your way.