Sunday, April 10, 2011

Peace amidst the storms

Wow craziness this week.

I spent the first part of the week still dealing with emotions from the incident last weekend for Clay.

Thursday afternoon I had one of the sisters I visit show up with a possible broken elbow.  Domestic violence.  Great.  Call the Bishop and turn it over to him.

Friday people around us start reacting to the possible government shutdown.  I was kind of surprised at the shock and fear that seemed to run like crazy here on post.  I took the kids and headed out to the farm of our friends for a while to get away.  Come back to having police behind my house dealing with a domestic disturbance a few doors down.  Even though we still don't know for certain if we're getting a full paycheck or not this next week, I'm at peace.  We've worked hard to get out of debt (with the exception of his student loans) so our stress about finances has eased considerable over the past little bit.  I still don't like the fact that we're losing money every month he's gone because of our unusual circumstances (due to large family issues) but I'll find a way to make it work and hopefully pay some towards the student loans still.  All I'll say is the fact that it doesn't seem right to have our military not get full pay yet congress and the president aren't affected.  We'll be paid eventually though.

Today was Ward Conference.  And they spoke of people in our ward/stake who have been arrested this past week.  I guess it's good I don't watch the news anymore.  I had no idea of what is allegedly happening.  I came home feeling slightly unsettled.  I heard things about what happened this week and my kids are still oblivious (thankfully) to all the chaos and commotion around them.  I'm very grateful the Christina doesn't seem to know about one particular situation.  We'll see if it comes up in the future.

Somedays it gets kind of overwhelming to see all the chaos in the world we live in.  I am so grateful to have the gospel and that I know where to look for peace.  I know that even when we live in a world with all kinds of craziness around us and even when it affects people we know, peace still can be found.  It's found in the little things.

It's found in living the gospel.  It's knowing that our family can be together forever, even when we have chaotic moments too.
I just need to remind myself more often of where to find this peace when the chaos of life happens.

No comments: