Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ears, noses, and throats

Today the memory from last year of having all 5 kids having strep throat came back.

I was able to finally get Amanda, Jonathan, and Samantha in to see a doctor today.  After another almost 2 hour wait for a scheduled appointment.  With 4 kids.  They actually did pretty well but mommy was getting kind of frustrated watching the walk-ins be taken back before me with an appointment.  I finally said something to the nurses and they found another doctor to see us.  And a good doctor at that.  I was very impressed with her.  Too bad she's leaving the clinic at the end of May or I'd switch to her.

Anyway, the verdict is:  Amanda with a bleeding ear drum from ear infection and possible strep throat (we'll find out tomorrow), Jonathan ear infection, and Samantha's looking good still.  I got allergy meds for all of them (I went ahead and picked up Ethan's just to have on hand or even to give to some of the others if I need to).  I really like to try to do things more natural when it comes to medicine but this mommy's reached her limit.

Ethan slept REALLY well last night.  Amanda on the other hand, well......

Amanda threw up before I went to bed so I was worried I was in for a really long night.  She didn't throw up anymore but kept coming in my room throughout the night for tissues and to ask how much longer until morning.  She hasn't been eating well so I finally sent her down to get a string cheese at 4 in the morning.

I feel like I spent all day with dr. visits.  It's crazy to think I spent 4+ hours going to the doctor appointment and waiting at the pharmacy.  Samantha fell asleep on the way home so she got a little nap and Amanda and Jonathan got to play with the Light Bright which they kept telling me "This is SO fun, Mom!"  and I got a little reading in while they played on the floor.  AHHHH.....

I even fixed dinner tonight, Daniel had a play date that stayed to eat dinner with us and then went to cub scouts with him.  Daniel told us that he felt left out because he couldn't talk about all the video games with the other boys (this Mom isn't allowing those games in this house).  I talked to him about all the other stuff he got to do because he wasn't playing video games.  We decided to invite a friend to the Pinewood Derby and potluck on Friday night.  He decided to invite the friend to scouts tonight too.  I was kind of surprised the mother said yes because they haven't gotten together before to play.  This boy was so polite.  I was very impressed at his manners.  A little missionary work maybe.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Markell- you are AMAZING. I would have been losing it at the Drs office!

And you're also doing missionary work on top of everything? Wow.

wylie said...

I am so glad you are posting regularly. I am also sorry to hear some of your kids aren't feeling well and that you are running on such little sleep. You must be feeling past your limits, yet you are still going one day at a time, one hour after another, one foot in front of the other. You are doing a wonderful job Markell!