Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pinewood Derby and Strep

 Friday I finally got a little motivation and got caught up on laundry again.  Amanda had to stay home from school so we went through her drawers again too.  Time for shorts here.  It was 95 degrees yesterday.  I think that I've finally gotten through the younger kids clothes.  Christina is left and I need to encourage her a little to get hers done.

I also made baked pasta, oregano garlic bread, and helped Christina make rice crispies for the Pinewood Derby/Blue and Gold Banquet (potluck).

Daniel had left his car at the church (and the weights we were supposed to add) on Wednesday.  Once we got to church I realized that I forgot the tape or glue to put them on too.  Luckily the first aid kit in the car had some medical tape that came in handy.

Here's the boys from the 2 wards and the branch that meet for scouts with their cars--
Daniel had so much fun.  It was fun to watch him get SOOO excited when his car would win.  One of the boys Christina's age (and his brother in law) helped Daniel make his car. I think it would have been fun to help him but I know I can't do everything and I haven't had much experience other than watching my dad and brothers.

The other kids also enjoyed watching the races.  I can tell Jonathan is going to be looking forward to when he gets to do this.


This is Daniel and his friend, James, that came with us.  Notice the beautiful handiwork by mom.  But, hey, at least they stayed on during all the races.






Daniel got 3rd Place.  I was really proud of him.  I did think it was rather odd that with the way they had the brackets arranged, Daniel never actually raced the second place car so he may have gotten that spot, but we'll never know (and he is happy with his 3rd place).  I guess that's the competitive side of me coming out.  At least I've learned to be content and let some things go in front of my kids.

Daniel getting his medal pinned on--
Saturday morning we got up still kind of early to take Christina to the church for the Girl's Camp hike.  I dropped her off, headed home to feed everyone else and get started with the chores for the day.  She came back kind of sore from her hike.  I took Daniel and Ethan to run out and get a few errands done.  My intent was to get the younger ones to bed earlier so Christina and I could watch the General Young Women's Broadcast at home together since I didn't get a babysitter with all the sickness we've had this week.

Things didn't go exactly how I planned and I ended up having family prayers just after they said their closing prayer.  We did kind of listen to part of it while bathing kids but we need to watch it together some time.

Then Christina started mentioning her throat was hurting.  

This morning she said it was worse and is running a fever.  I have a very strong feeling that it's strep but the thoughts of taking all 6 and sitting in the ER to be seen today aren't the most lovely thoughts.  I left her home alone and took the other 5 to church.  They did ok considering but the crawling under the pews and standing up yelling at each other left some behaviors desiring to be changed.  The thought crossed my mind of what would people do if I got up to bear my testimony today and left the 5 (well, 4 really) at the pews.  I'm sure I would have had a few follow me anyway.  But I couldn't do it.  Maybe some day I can get up and bear my testimony again.  Today wasn't it.  I have a testimony, just not really a day to share it.  I'm looking forward to being able to look back at this time and seeing things a little clearer.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain Christina is staying home and I'll be making a trip to the pediatric clinic again for the fifth time in a week and a half.  I really hope that this strep doesn't spread any further.  At least it will be two down already.

I'm not one for usually suggesting movies but I recently finished (remember it takes me a while to watch movies 20-30 minutes here and there) My Girlfriend's Boyfriend.  Really cute, clean movie.

1 comment:

Belkycita said...

Wow!
That is all I can say.