Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Day 17--

Tuesday Samantha had speech so we took a little thank you gift to her speech teacher.  Usually while she's in speech therapy, I have Ethan play the Ipad and I take a break and either play on my iphone or read.  Yesterday instead of doing that, I listened to a stranger who needed someone to talk to about his medical issues.

Talking to strangers is a bit of a difficult thing for me.  I'm a pretty private person and don't really like to share information with complete strangers.  Living here is quite a unique experience in that regard.  I've had complete strangers come up and talk to me in the store and want to visit for 15-20 minutes.  I often am trying to get everything done I need to and don't really stop as often as I should to listen to others.

Yesterday, as much as I wanted to go into my shell and check out for a bit, I took the time to listen to a stranger.  Although I only know a small section of his life, I can tell things have been very difficult for him through his whole life and he just needed someone to talk to.  I think there are so many people out there who just want to know that someone cares what they are saying.

No comments: